Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A Reply to Atheism Part Six: Spaceships

It has been a few weeks since I attempted to write my final reply to atheism, and I think perhaps my biggest reason for delay has simply been that I have been searching for the right thing to say.

I asked my five year old son what I should call this, and he told me spaceships....so there you have it.  

People can come up with a million different answers to the questions that plague us all, and some are logical, and many are nonsensical. That still doesn't stop us from trying. As I mentioned early on, religion has always been about us connecting with God. I could not call myself a follower of Jesus if I believed all religions achieved this feat, but this does not dismiss the fact that something deep inside of every man is searching for the truth.

There are certainly different truths out there that apply to each person in each season they are living, and these are things that resonate in our bones. I cannot say that my truth is higher than your truth, for I am but a man, and certainly prone to my own assumptions and leaps like anyone else.

Am I convinced there is a God? Absolutely. If tomorrow I woke up and somehow had irrefutable proof that God didn't exist, would I still be convinced there is a God? Yes, and yes. It is also my assumption that you will continue to believe what you believe even long after it is proven to be false. Why would I say this? Well, I am convinced that all conclusions are but leaps of faith, and that the conclusion you have, as an atheist, agnostic, humanist, mystic, or whatever, must be based on a truth that resonates deeply in order for you to believe it.

I believe the evidence of God is in everything, and there are some who believe everything is evidence that there is no God. I also can say with all sincerity that I think anyone who doesn't acknowledge the probability of there being a God is extremely closed minded and blind to the truth, and I also acknowledge that they have every right to feel the same way about me and my beliefs. That's okay, there is room for both of us here to exist.

The truth is, my Christian beliefs tell me that only God can call anyone to be a follower of Him, and that the rest are actually blinded to the truth (which is why I have a huge problem with our modern concept of hell and eternal punishment), so I shouldn't be surprised when atheists deny the existence of God, even when I believe the evidence is right in front of them.

Listen, a Christian's greatest asset is his or her testimony. A testimony is regarded as the key reason one decided to be a follower of Jesus, and it rarely has anything to do with intellectualism or being proven through what is seen, the existence of God. It's a point in someones life when all presupposed ideas and closely held truths no longer seem relevant.

For me, it wasn't the fact that I grew up in a Christian household, had a lot of Christian friends, and listened to Christian music (which is something I rarely do anymore, just to clarify). My testimony is that there was a time in my early adult life that I started to wander from my faith, and question a lot of things. During that time I grew further and further a part from the life I had once lived and I found myself in a dark place, mentally, and spiritually.

My rock bottom was probably nothing compared to others, but for me I woke up one day feeling anxious, depressed, and completely cold inside. It's hard to explain, but in my memory I liken it to how thick the darkness feels in an unfamiliar windowless basement once the lights turn out. I remember searching myself for something significant or hopeful, and all I felt was dark and cold. I mentioned previously how people turn to God in hard or tragic times, and in this moment, within the confines of my room, I called on God.

For many people who have attended Church and eventually walked away, you no doubt consider how worship services are constructed (especially in the modern church) to give us warm fuzzies, and you might have even experienced this and now dismiss it as a figment of your imagination brought on by a clever structure of songs and emotions. However, there are times when I have experienced the undeniable presence of God that comes out of nowhere, and completely breaks through my defenses and is so overpowering that I have a hard time standing, let alone reasoning against it.

In that moment, when I called on God for the first time in quite a while, I felt this same overpowering presence, and it overtook me. I have no idea how long I wept, but in my memory, I see myself balled up on my bed, unable to move as something powerful and external washed over me. It wasn't a goosebump sensation brought on by an emotionally driven worship band, but rather an overpowering, almost tangible presence, and once that moment had passed, not only did my atmosphere feel lighter, but I felt cleansed, and restored.

This is why I say that even if you showed me irrefutable proof that God doesn't exist, I would still think He does, because such proof would not line up with what I know to be true. Perhaps my understanding of God, or my knowledge of scripture is askew, but my reality, based on my own story, and my own experiences, demands me to believe, and because of that belief, I see evidence that supports this in everything, from watching my kids, to standing at the edge of the sea, to star gazing, all of these things speak of the grandness and supremacy of God.

I don't think even for a second that my story will convince anyone else to be a believer, and that was never the point of writing these replies.

Lastly, I wanted to explain that part of my delay in writing this had to do with my desire to read and understand a book by Kurt Vonnegut called Cat's Cradle. Mr. Vonnegut referred to himself as a Jesus loving atheist, and perhaps there is hardly another author whom I identify with, in his philosophies and understanding of the world, than he. I'm not going to go into too much detail here about the book, but I did want to discuss it's theme.

Here is the line in the book that pretty much sums up the entire point Mr. Vonnegut is trying to make, and it reads:

No wonder kids grow up crazy. A cat's cradle is nothing but a bunch of X's between somebody's hands, and little kids look and look and look at all those X's . No damn cat, no damn cradle.”

The point being made here is that all the institutions of man, whether they be religious, political, or scientific, are pretty ridiculous when you take them a part and actually look at them. In a sense it's the unveiling of the great and powerful Oz to be just a short old man with a few gadgets. Sure the mysteries of the Universe are astounding, and man can be pretty clever and entertaining at times, but what happens when they start digging into things? When suddenly it's not enough for you to exist and be happy, but when you decide to start hunting for the truth? Six words, “No damn cat, no damn cradle”.

So where then does this leave us? When everything we believe to be true is empty and false when viewed through the microscope? Don't get me wrong, I believe in absolute truth, but I also understand man's quest for absolute truth to be rather silly and assumptious, no matter how logical things seem to be. For me it is folly to believe that the complexity of life can evolve from molecules without even a hint of external guidance and planning, (and that's assuming Darwin's theory of evolution is true), and for atheists, it is folly to say otherwise.

Do I believe all truth's are equally true? Absolutely not. I also think that man's attempt to understand it and compartmentalize it, is entertaining and not to be taken too literally. So what then is the point? Well, as I explained earlier, my beliefs state that no one can actually be a follower of God or aware of absolute truth unless he is called to do so. There may be some of you reading this who are not called, but the point is there may also be some who are, and God has been working on your heart throughout this conversation. That you have been recalling all those times before when the path you chose seemed empty and hopeless, and how even then you felt the presence of something guiding you and getting you through it. 

Words are just words, but if you are in a place where suddenly these words ring true and you feel as if the pieces of a very complex and scattered puzzle are coming together, then don't resist or try to reason with it, for a deeper truth is resonating in your bones right now.  For whatever reason, the God of the universe is calling you out and offering to let you in on the secret.  It's terrifying and exciting, and it's a purpose worth living if you'll respond to this call.

For the rest of you, I'll just leave you with the words of Kurt Vonnegut found in the dedication of his book “Cat's Cradle”:

"Nothing in this book is true. 'Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy'."


If God calls you, then you'll know. Until then, good luck in your quest for truth, and never stop questioning, even in the things you believe to be true, for this makes us sharper, and more aware of how little we actually know.

No comments:

Post a Comment